Monday, November 8, 2010

Existing vs. Living

Ahhh how nice it is to take hold of your own life. It's a feeling like no other, an encounter with the infinite, an awakening. I laugh when I think of this, when I realize how seriously people take their lives, it's supposed to be enjoyable! Make it what you want it to be, it's your life, take hold of it, no one controls it but you. Attitude truely is everything. My dads advice always rings true in my mind, "never make a decision based on fear" with that said, here I am in South America. My heart's always been pulled south, and traveling has always been a dream of mine, and here it is.. coming true. I'm in Argentina with my best friend, thoroughly enjoying "living" here. Thus far it's been so wonderful. Picking up from where Angrea left off...

Saturday evening we take the bus to Casa Rosada where her sister, Florencia, is filming a documentary on the legalization of gay marriage in Argentina, a new law that just passed! (Congratulations on that, we're still behind Argentina when it comes to this issue, Great Job USA!) At the square infront of Casa Rosada was a huge gay celebration. All shapes, sizes, colors, patterns, and textures of people, it was great, everyone was so happy and really able to celebrate their own liberation and their love. It was totally wild and flamboyant and fun! Great vibes all around. Florencia's documentary on a gay couple finally able to tie the knot, shot during the parade then a small group of us were able to actually shoot some more footage in Casa Rosada!! Inside was amazing. The building has history beyond anything I can imagine, it was such a great experience, I can't believe we were lucky enough to go inside it!!
Later on in the evening the three of us decide to finally go out for a night. Argentina is all about the night life, people are eating at restaurants at 1am, and not to mention its completely packed. So we go to some bar, and people watch. It's funny seeing the "mating call" of our species. The men dance like idiots to try to impress (?) the women, both of which are completely intoxicated I'm assuming. After several thousand cat-calls on the streets, all of which are incredibly creative one- liners, a bar, and another outdoor bar so crowded that it took about 20 minutes to walk 10 feet, we decided we had had enough! Exhaustion.
Yesterday was my favorite day. We got on the train and ended up at el Tigre, right along the river. Coolest little town. Oh, did I mention how insanely crowded the train was?! Angie was right, this is not the town for closterphobic people. Anyways, we get in our 3 man kayak and make our way down a cool little side river with old houses along the riverbed. SO COOL! I wanted to live in one of those houses, and maybe I will... Dogs would walk down to the river and swim across to the other side! We made it to a larger river that we were told to cross. Let's just say there was a little stress goin on at this point, boats that we had to dodge were haulin ass down the river. Flo was directing our kayak and totally stressin out, I on the other hand was having the time of my life haha! After crossing the river of doom, we made it to a little beach and rested for about an hour and a half. Ang and I waded in the river for as long as we could stand it.. The mud in rivers is not so pleasant to our feet, yuck. "Squishy and oozing through our toes when we walk" a quote directly from Angrea Jacuzzi. Finished up our journey and made it home, exhausted once again. I slept 12 hours last night.

Today it's raining. Complete opposite of yesterday. But it's nice to take it easy sometimes.

I miss everyone at home, but it's not the sad kinda missing. I love missing people, and knowing that I have something wonderful to go home to. But for now, I am here. And I'm loving and living my life.

Love you all!!
Hemil Petropolis

PICTURES: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067190&id=1061040100

1 comment:

  1. yay!!! this made my whole day reading about your adventures. i'm drooling. i cant wait to leave and be a wild traveler woman like the two of you :) much much muchhhh loove to my little gypsies <3

    ReplyDelete